Cool juicy watermelon, creamy mozzarella and fragrant basil are a wonderful combination. It is a salad you can eat as a meal in itself, or makes a great side for barbecue or buffet.
If you are anything like me, on a hot day you get seduced by the wedges of watermelon in the shops. You buy one, get home, cut some chunks off and eat as is…then the next day the family decide they don’t want it.
The question then is, “What do I do with the couple of kilos of watermelon in my fridge?”
I often make these healthy 3 ingredient watermelon ice lollies with some, but also like to use it in a salad. Adding some chunks of watermelon in a salad makes it super light and refreshing, and great for those days when it is so hot you don’t feel like eating much.
When I first began to make this salad I always added balsamic vinegar, but one day I didn’t have it so used just olive oil. I actually prefer the light simplicity of solely olive oil, but if you have balsamic and want to use it, then go ahead! One thing I would recommend not to leave out is the salt: salt brings the savoury flavour from the watermelon and ties the dish together.
Can you make this watermelon basil mozzarella salad ahead?
Yes, it will keep up to 24 hours in the fridge. The basil does go a little brown over time so I would add this just before serving.
Watermelon Mozzarella Salad
- 300g (2 c) Watermelon, cubed ($0.57/ £0.55)
- 200g (7 oz) Cherry mozzarella – or tear a large mozzarella into bitesize pieces ($6.00 / £1.60)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh basil ($0.75 / £0.15)
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil ($0.10 / £0.06)
- Salt and pepper ($0.02 / £0.02)
- Optional: Balsamic vinegar –
- Combine the cubed watermelon and mozzarella. Roughly tear the basil and mix into the watermelon with the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.