Feta and beetroot are such a classic ingredient pairing. Add some baby spinach leaves, and you have a simple and delicious salad which is perfect as a summer salad and winter salad.
In this particular beetroot and feta salad recipe there are two additions which (in my opinion) takes this feta salad up a notch:
Sweet smokey Walnuts:
Walnuts are mixed with fresh orange juice and honey for sweetness, and smoked paprika for a smokey flavour, then baked until sticky and toasted. The walnuts on their own also make a pretty addictive nibble to go with drinks, and you can easily double the recipe for them. Whilst the extra effort of making the nuts is worth it; if you are pushed for time then just toast the walnuts, and drizzle them with a little honey before adding to the salad.
Orange salad dressing:
Fresh orange juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil are all you need to create this simple salad dressing. The orange beetroot combination works so well!
So, whether you are looking for a salad to serve at a barbecue, or a simple winter salad; this beetroot and feta salad is one you really should try!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I Prepare the Beetroot and Feta Salad Ahead of time?
The beetroot and walnuts can both be cooked ahead of time: The beetroot can be cooked and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days, and the walnuts can be made the day before and kept in an airtight container. Depending on humidity the walnuts can become soft if kept any longer.
What Nuts go well with Beetroot if I don’t have Walnuts?
You could use almonds, or cashews and cook them like the walnuts in the honey and orange juice. Pistachios go well, but I recommend leaving them plain.
What cheese goes with beetroot if I don’t have feta?
Goats cheese also pairs well with beetroot, and makes a great alternative to the feta.
Beetroot And Feta Salad
- 250 g beetroot
- 150 g baby spinach
- 75 g feta
- Smokey Honey Walnuts:
- ½ tbsp runny honey
- ¼ tbsp fresh orange juice – from ¼ medium orange
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 50 g walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Squeeze orange juice
- Black pepper
- Cook the beetroot: place them in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and boil for 50 minutes, until soft and when you try to peel the skin away with a blunt knife, the skin comes away.
- Drain and cool.
- Whilst the beetroot is cooking, make the walnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/340˚F.
- Whisk the honey with the orange juice and smoked paprika, then stir in the walnuts and mix until the walnuts are coated. Pour onto a baking dish lined with baking parchment and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden, stirring halfway. Cool on the dish.
- For the dressing, mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar and orange juice together and season - remembering the feta is salty.
- Peel the cooled beetroot and slice, then arrange on a plate with the spinach, walnuts and feta (once you mix the feta will become beetroot coloured so it’s best to not stir.)