Beetroot and feta has to be one of my favourite combinations in a salad. Add in some crunchy walnuts coated a honey and smoked paprika, and this salad is one I could eat every day. Really – no exaggeration!
It is also a salad that Mr Jones enjoys eating – and, not being a salad addict like me, that is saying something! The beetroot and walnuts can be cooked ahead of time meaning its a quick assembly job when you are ready to serve. Any leftovers make a great lunch the following day too.
The walnuts on their own also make a pretty addictive nibble to go with drinks, and you can easily double the recipe for them. Whilst I personally think the extra effort of making the nuts its worth it, if you are pushed for time then just toast the walnuts, and drizzle them with a little honey.
So, whether you are looking for a salad to serve at a barbecue, or a simple winter salad; this beetroot and feta salad is one you really should try!
Can I Prepare the Beetroot and Feta Salad Ahead of time?
The beetroot can be cooked and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days, and the walnuts can be made the day before and kept in an airtight container. Depending on humidity they can become soft if kept any longer.
Don’t have feta?
Goats cheese also pairs well with beetroot, and makes a great alternative to the feta.
Beetroot And Feta Salad
- 250 g beetroot
- 150 g baby spinach
- 75 g feta
- Smokey Honey Walnuts:
- 1/2 tbsp runny honey
- 1/4 tbsp fresh orange juice – from ¼ medium orange
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 c/50g walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Squeeze orange juice
- Black pepper
- Cook the beetroot: place them in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and boil for 50 minutes, until soft and when you try to peel the skin away with a blunt knife, the skin comes away.
- Drain and cool.
- Whilst the beetroot is cooking, make the walnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/340˚F.
- Whisk the honey with the orange juice and smoked paprika, then stir in the walnuts and mix until the walnuts are coated. Pour onto a baking dish lined with baking parchment and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden, stirring halfway. Cool on the dish.
- For the dressing, mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar and orange juice together and season - remembering the feta is salty.
- Peel the cooled beetroot and slice, then arrange on a plate with the spinach, walnuts and feta (once you mix the feta will become beetroot coloured so it’s best to not stir.)