This lightly curried chicken salad served on naan bread is a quick and easy supper for a busy summer evening!
With the hot Autumn sun beating down on Sydney today, and feeling low on energy after a week of Mini Jones waking up at 5.30am, I wanted something quick easy for supper. I also wanted a meal that didn’t require switching the oven on; as it is far too hot for that. Spying some leftover poached chicken in the fridge from last night, this curried chicken salad instantly sprung to mind. I have made the salad many times over the summer months, using both leftover cold roast chicken and poached chicken. (You could also use a bought rotisserie chicken if you didn’t want to cook any chicken.)
Mini Jones loves the salad too – which is always a relief – if I wasn’t making it for him as well I would be tempted to add a tiny bit more curry powder of a little dried chilli for extra kick. The addition of greek yogurt not only makes the dressing lighter but also adds a little sharpness.
Use whatever vegetables you have to hand – I’ve made it with grated carrot, finely chopped celery, and served it on lettuce rather than spinach. It is also lovely on its own rather than on the naan bread. The cucumber ribbons are purely for presentation; there is many an evening I chop it into cubes and mix it in with the chicken!
Curried Chicken Salad on Naan
- 1 dsp mayonnaise
- 3 dsp plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- black pepper
- 150 g cold cooked chicken
- couple large handfuls baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado sliced or cubed
- 15 cm cucumber
- 2 naan bread - plain or garlic
- Mix the mayonnaise with the greek yogurt and curry powder and season with black pepper.
- Add the chicken and stir until well combined. Put to one side.
- Heat the naan bread - wither in a dry drying pan on medium heat, or under the grill. You don't want it crispy, just warmed through.
- Transfer the naan to the serving plates, then top each naan with half the spinach and avocado. Spoon over half the chicken.
- Take the cucumber and, using a vegetable peeler slice lengthways to give you cucumber ribbons. Top the naan and chicken with these, then eat straight away