Adding a few extra festive flavours is a great way to jazz up Brussels sprouts this Christmas. Walnuts add crunch, the cranberries bring a sweet-tart flavour and the orange juice coats everything in a sweetness bringing it all together. Roasting the sprouts in a pan caramelises them which adds a great flavour – which, some may say, also hides the taste and makes them more bearable 😉
I love brussel sprouts, and could happily eat a plate of them plain. Perhaps it’s my origins: Brits eat the most Brussels sprouts than anyone else in Europe. I don’t mind if they are hot or cold – but cold Brussels sprouts are my absolute favourite!
However you do not share this – some may say, strange – love of plain Brussels sprouts and want a little flavour; or are looking for a simple Christmas side dish suitable for vegetarian or vegan guests, then try this recipe!
Can I make these Brussels Spouts Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can boil the sprouts 2 days before. The rest of the steps are best done just before serving.
A few Nutritional Facts about Brussels Sprouts!
I am a bit of a geek when it comes to nutritional facts and figures, so skip over this if you are not interested, but did you know that an 80g serving of Brussels Spouts contains more vitamin C than 4 oranges! They also contain high levels of Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and folic acid and dietary fibre, AND are a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids. So, that little Brussels sprout is quite a nutrition powerhouse!
Lesson over 🙂
Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts & Cranberries
- 500 g Brussel sprouts trimmed*
- ½ c | 60g walnuts
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- ½ tsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the sprouts and bring back to the boil for 5 minutes until just tender.
- Drain. Cut the sprouts in half vertically.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and place the brussel sprouts in the oil for 5 minutes, don’t move as you want them to get colour.
- Once they are golden on one side, turn off the heat then add the walnuts, cranberries and orange juice. It can spit a little so take care. Give a quick stir to make sure the sprouts are all coated in the orange juice then season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve straight away.