Pasta al Pomodoro is a classic Italian pasta dish of pasta, often spaghetti, with a simple tomato sauce. It is ready in just over 30 minutes, making it a great option for a family friendly midweek meal.
‘Pomodoro’ is Italian for tomato and so basically ‘Pasta al Pomodoro’ means pasta with tomato sauce. The Pomodoro sauce is a simple sauce made with basic ingredients: garlic, carrot, onion and celery, which are softened, cooked with tomatoes and then blended until smooth. This ‘hidden veg’ sauce is what attracted me to making it in the first place.
Serve on its own, with some garlic bread, or add a simple green salad on the side to make an easy midweek dinner.
Is Pomodoro Sauce Vegetarain?
Yes, Pomodoro sauce is Vegetarian – and vegan. If you eat dairy, then a shaving or parmesan or a vegetarian alternative to parmesan on the pasta just before serving is a tasty addition!
The chilli is optional and I serve the dish with this on the side so Mr Jones and I can have chilli but toddler Mini Jones doesn’t have it.
Make the Pomodoro Sauce ahead:
Cook the sauce and blitz then store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Heat gently before serving.
Try using the sauce as a pizza sauce and top with mozzarella and basil for a margarita pizza.
If you like this recipe you may also like these other pasta dishes:
Cheese and tomato lasagne (a vegetarian lasagne)
Pasta al Pomodoro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g tin tomatoes whole or chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes optional
- 350 g spaghetti
- Salt and black pepper
- parmesan to serve, optional
- fresh basil to serve, optional
- olive oil to serve, optional
- Place a frying pan over a low-medium heat and cook the onion, carrot and celery in the olive oil for 10 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute then add the tomatoes, a tin full of water, chilli flakes (if using) and cook 20-25 mins at simmer.
- Blend until smooth with stick blender.
- Place the spaghetti into a pan of boiling water.
- Bring the pomodoro sauce to a gently simmer whilst the spaghetti is cooking.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Add the drained pasta to the tomato sauce, add a tablespoon or two of the cooking water and mix until all the pasta is covered evenly in the sauce.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with basil, olive oil and parmesan, and dried chilli flakes.