Made from chocolate, marshmallows, biscuits and almonds, this easy peasy rocky road recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make!
What is Rocky Road?
Rocky road is an Australian no bake slice, made from melted chocolate mixed with marshmallows and nuts. Like chocolate tiffin and fridge cake, it is a no bake slice, and is a great recipe for using up any leftover biscuits.
There are many variants, and you can easily adapt the recipe to your tastes, and what is in your cupboard, but here are the main rocky road ingredients:
- Chocolate: In this recipe for rocky road I have used dark chocolate, but you could easily swap in milk chocolate or use a combination of milk and dark chocolate.
- Biscuits: You can make this slice with digestive biscuits (as I have used), graham crackers, ginger snaps or shortbread biscuits.
- Marshmallows: Use full size marshmallows and roughly chop, or use mini marshmallows and leave whole.
- Nuts: Use 35g of coconut flakes or 50g peanuts instead of the almonds.
Enjoy as a simple no bake dessert, or a teatime treat that the kids can help make. It makes a delicious easy Christmas gift too, along with this dark chocolate coconut bark and white chocolate bark with pistachios and rose petals.
FAQ and Tips:
How long does this no bake slice keep for?
It will keep in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.
Can I freeze this chocolate slice?
Yes you can. Make sure you wrap it well to prevent it from taking on any strong flavours from other items stored in the freezer (think onions and garlic…)
Making a nut free rocky road:
Make using the same weight of chocolate (200g), and butter (20g). Increase both the marshmallows and biscuits to 75g each, or mix in sultanas or apricots in place of the nuts.
Cutting this chocolate slice neatly:
After the slice has been in the fridge for 30 minutes, slice using a sharp knife, and then place back in the fridge to firm up fully. This helps you get clean slices without it crumbling.
Watch how to make it here:
If you are looking for recipes with leftover digestive biscuits, try these other no bake treats:
You might also like these other chocolate recipes on the blog:
Please note: the slices in these pictures are double the portion size. I was so busy trying to stop my 3 year old son from getting in the shot (he had just seen the jar of marshmallows), that I forgot to cut the rocky road in half again… 😉
- 200 g dark chocolate or milk chocolate
- 20 g butter
- 60 g marshmallows roughly chopped
- 50 g digestive biscuits roughly broken
- 50 g almonds skin on, roughly chopped
- Line a 24cm x 13 cm (9" x 5") tin with baking paper.
- Slowly melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (You can also melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave).
- Mix together the chopped marshmallows, biscuits, and almonds.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the biscuit marshmallow mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spoon into the lined tin and spread out in an even layer. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take the slice out of the fridge. Carefully lift out of the tin using the baking paper and place on a chopping board.
- Using a sharp knife cut into six slices, then cut each slice in half. Carefully place back in tin and put back in the fridge to set completely.
- It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.