This easy no bake Hedgehog slice recipe with chunks of biscuit in a chocolate fudgy base takes just 10 minutes to make, and no oven is required! It’s rich, full of chocolate, and always a favourite at bake sales and coffee mornings!
What is hedgehog slice?
A hedgehog slice is a long standing Australian favourite, with a slightly chewy chocolate fudgy base studded with chunks of plain sweet biscuits, topped with a layer of chocolate. It’s like a no bake fudgey chocolate brownie.
Slices, for my non-Aussie friends, is like a bar recipe. They come in all different flavours, but we are currently obsessed with chocolate slices, like this chocolate fudge slice, and the hedgehog slice.
Why we love this recipe and wanted to share it with you
- Quick and easy – it takes just 10 minutes to prepare this chocolate slice.
- No bake – perfect for days when you want to bake but don’t want to turn the oven on.
- A great recipe for bake sales and coffee mornings.
- It’s freezer friendly.
- Nut free – making it suitable for school lunchboxes.
- Perfect for chocolate cravings – there is definitely no shortage of chocolate in this no bake treat!
- Kid friendly recipe – it’s a fun treat kids can help make (and lick the spoon!)
- Biscuits – Arnott’s Marie biscuits are a popular Australian choice, I often use Digestive biscuits, but you can use any other plain sweetened biscuits/cookies such as Graham Crackers or Shortbread.
- Desiccated Coconut – finely shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – use full fat, full sugar sweetened condensed milk for this recipe. You want a thick, sweet chocolate fudge base to this slice.
- Chocolate – Dark chocolate, cooking chocolate or milk chocolate. I use dark in the base and then a mixture of milk and dark for the top – it’s a very sweet slice and therefore I like the slightly less sweet mixture of the two rather than all milk chocolate.
- Coconut oil – this helps the chocolate topping from cracking when you cut it. You can use vegetable oil instead, or leave it out altogether.
How to make this chocolate slice
- Crush the biscuits, leaving some larger bits.
- Add the coconut.
- Melt the chocolate, butter, condensed milk and cocoa powder together in a saucepan.
- When smooth and glossy remove from the heat.
- Add biscuit crumbs and coconut.
- Spoon into a lined tin.
- Spread out into an even layer.
- Melt milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and coconut oil.
- Pour onto biscuit base.
- Spread out in an even layer and place in fridge to set.
It’s a bit of a strange one, as Australia doesn’t have hedgehogs! But various sources say it has something to do with the light and dark contrast of the slice base and topping looking like the contrast in hedgehog spines.
The slice will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
My Recipe Tips
- Don’t over crush the biscuits, you want to have some biscuit chunks in there for some crunch.
- Line the tin – the base of this slice is sticky and fudgy (which makes it so delicious!) but you need to line the tin well with greaseproof paper to stop it from sticking.
- Take the slice out of the fridge 30 minutes before you cut it, this makes it easier to cut.
- Once sliced, return to the fridge for the base to set to make it easier to peel off the greaseproof paper.
- This recipe uses half a packet of biscuits, for recipes to use the leftover biscuits, see the suggested no bake recipes above the recipe card below, or use them as a biscuit base like in this banoffee pie
- Fridge: Store in a covered container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze the slice for up to 2 months. Wrap it well.
More no bake recipes
These easy recipes are perfect for days you don’t want to switch the oven on.
- 100 g Butter
- 395 g Sweetened condensed milk
- 100 g Dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 250 g Biscuits Digestives or Marie Biscuits
- 65g (⅔c) Desiccated coconut
- 100 g Milk chocolate
- 125 g Dark chocolate
- 1 tsp Coconut oil optional
- Line a 20cm x 25cm (7.9inch x 9.8 inch) tin with baking paper.
- Crush the biscuits, leaving some larger bits, and mix with the coconut.
- Place the butter, condensed milk, dark chocolate and cocoa powder in a saucepan and melt over a low heat until the butter and chocolate are melted (around 5 minutes). Stir often to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the condensed milk mixture is ready, take off the heat and stir in the biscuit crumbs and coconut.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and flatten down well.
- To make the topping, melt the milk and dark chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, or melt in a microwave.
- Pour over the biscuit base and smooth out to cover.
- Place in fridge for 3 hours to set.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to slice. Using a sharp knife, cut into 20 squares.
- Place back in the fridge to fully set before taking off the greaseproof paper and serving.
- Store in the fridge.
hedgehog, easy, no nuts, chocolate hedgehog, condensed milk slice, gluten free, marie biscuits, Australian