In this easy leftover lamb shepherd’s pie, leftover roast lamb is heated in a flavoursome gravy, topped with soft and fluffy mashed potato, and then baked in the oven until golden and crispy.
What is Shepherds Pie?
Shepherds pie is a classic English dish of lamb topped with mashed potato – essentially a lamb pie.
Traditional shepherds pie is made with lamb mince, but in the recipe I have used leftover roast lamb leg.
My mum often made a lamb shepherd’s pie a day or two after we had had a roast lamb dinner. It was an easy family friendly meal that utilised leftovers, and a delicious recipe for using up leftover roast lamb.
How to make shepherds pie from leftover lamb
- Finely chop the leftover lamb – you can use leftover lamb shoulder or leg.
- Heat through with garlic, fresh rosemary and stock.
- Top with soft mashed potato.
Shepherds Pie is made with lamb, Cottage Pie is made with beef.
Vegetables, such as peas or sweetcorn, or simply leafy salad such as this pear and walnut salad.
Up to 3 days.
Because this is made with leftover lamb, I recommend that you cook the shepherds pie as soon as you have heated the lamb in the carrot and onion stock.
You can however, make the mashed potato a couple of days beforehand.
More recipe for leftovers:
I hate wasting food and love creating different dishes from leftovers. Here are our favourites –
Leftover roast lamb recipes:
Leftover roast chicken recipes:
Leftover Lamb Shepherd’s Pie
- 500 g leftover roast lamb finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 celery stick finely diced
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 500 ml stock
- dash Worcestershire sauce optional
- black pepper
- 800 g floury potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 60 ml milk
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C fan/ 220˚C/ 392˚F convection/ 428˚F
- In a medium saucepan over a low heat, add the olive oil then cook the onion, carrots and celery until soft for about 10 minutes
- Add the crushed garlic and finely chopped rosemary and cook for 1 minute before adding the tomato puree.
- Add the chopped lamb, stock, Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes:
- Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, until soft.
- Drain well then add the butter, milk and salt and mash until smooth.
- Place the lamb into the bottom of a 20 x 27 cm (7.8 x 10.5") or similar size, baking dish.
- Spoon over the mashed potato and smooth.
- With a fork, drag lines across the top – these will get extra crispy.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Eat straight away.