This easy homemade pizza dough takes minutes to prepare and is the only pizza dough you need for all kinds of homemade pizza!
This easy pizza base recipe is one I have been making for years and I thought it about time I shared it with you!
Why we love this basic pizza dough recipe
- This pizza dough can be made in the bread machine, stand mixer or by hand.
- Cook it in the oven, barbecue or air fryer.
- Easy – it takes just minutes to prepare (especially if you make it in the bread machine or mixer with dough hook!)
- Make ahead – keep it in the fridge overnight, or freeze as a pizza for a quick family dinner.
- It makes a soft, chewy pizza base.
- Just 5 ingredients!
- It’s vegan.
Pizza Dough Ingredients
- Plain Flour – You can sub bread flour if you prefer, but you will also need to add 1-2 tablespoon more water. You can use AP flour too.
- Yeast – Instant dried yeast (also known as quick-rise yeast or fast-acting yeast).
- Salt – Adds flavour!
- Water – Use warm water – not too hot.
- Olive oil – I like to use EVOO as it adds a lovely flavour to the dough, but you can use any neutral flavoured oil.
How to make pizza dough from scratch
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix to a soft dough, adding a little more water if needed.
- Knead for 5 minutes in a mixer, 7 minutes if making by hand.
- Place in lightly greased bowl.
- Cover with clingfilm/clingwrap for an hour.
- Once risen, it’s ready to use!
This dough can be made by hand, stand mixer or in a bread machine:
Making the dough by hand:
Knead on a floured board for 7 minutes until soft and smooth.
Making the dough with a stand mixer:
Knead for 5 minutes, stirring down the side of the bowl with a spatula after 3 minutes.
Making the pizza dough in a bread machine:
Place all the ingredients in the bowl of the machine and use the setting for kneading and rising (on my machine it takes an hour and a half)
- Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- Pesto: homemade or bought pesto, use a dairy free pesto for a vegan pizza or broccoli pesto to pack more veggies on your pizza!
- Red lentil veg sauce (great for getting extra veggies and protein on your pizza!)
I use a baking plain flour, but you can use bread flour or AP flour. High protein flours like bread flour produce a chewier crust. I have found that flours differ from country to country, so if the dough is not as chewy and fluffy as you want, then try another flour.
Breadsticks, flatbread, calzones, garlic knots and cinnamon rolls are just some of the delicious recipes you can make with pizza dough!
My Tips for success
- Make sure yeast is not old/inactive.
- Different baking trays/sheets can be the difference between having a crisp pizza base or soft pizza base. We have two trays which cook cookies exactly the same, but when it comes to making pizza on them, one produces a far crispier base.
- This dough can be left at room temperature for up to 6 hours.
- If storing the dough in the fridge, or freezing it, it will make a crispier pizza base.
How to bake pizza dough
- Heat the oven to 200˚C fan / 220˚C / 392˚F Convection / 428˚F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, roll out your dough and transfer to the baking sheet, stretching the edges out with your fingers once on the tray.
- Top with your favourite toppings and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- If baking from frozen: Allow an extra 5 minutes to cook.
Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
- 350g (2⅓ c) Strong Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting ($0.70 /£0.30p)
- 2 teaspoons Dried Yeast ($0.15 /£0.11p)
- 1 teaspoon Salt ($0.02 /£0.01p)
- 220 ml Warm Water ($0 /£0)
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil ($0.06 /£0.03p)
- Add the flour, yeast, salt, water and olive oil to a bowl.
- Gently mix to a soft dough.
- Add a splash of water if the mix seems too dry – it shouldn't feel hard and dry.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, or if using a stand mixer knead for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a clean lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave for 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 200˚C fan / 220˚C / 400˚F convection / 475˚F.
- Lightly grease two baking trays/sheets with olive oil.
- Scoop the dough out onto a well floured surface and cut into 2 equal size pieces. Place one piece back into the bowl.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to your desired shape – around 25cm – 30cm diameter.
- Place the dough on to the greased baking sheet, pressing out at the edges with clean hands if it's shrunk a little on moving.
- Repeat with the other half of the pizza dough.
- Top each base with toppings of choice, and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
I’d love to see your creation!
Or just leave a comment below!
This is a delicious pizza dough recipe –
I love how simple it is, and it produces a fantastic result!
It’s so simple isn’t it?! So much better than shop bought!