This egg free chocolate cake has been my go-to recipe for many years. A light chocolate cake delicately flavoured with orange, topped with chunks of bittersweet chocolate and finished with a sticky orange drizzle, it makes the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea, as well as a delicious pudding served slightly warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Chocolate Orange Drizzle Cake
- 140 g SR flour
- Pinch salt
- 1.5 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 85 g Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 55 g Margarine
- 1.5 tbsp Treacle
- 140 ml Milk
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 40 g Dark Chocolate 70%, roughly chopped
- 20 g Granulated Sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F
- Line a 23 x 13cm loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour, salt, cocoa powder, sugar and orange zest together.
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, melt the margarine, treacle and milk. Once melted, add the bicarbonate of soda and the vanilla essence.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf tin, sprinkle with the chocolate chunks, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, make the syrup: place the sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan and heat over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, and then pour over the drizzle. Leave in tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
- Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to one month.
Keep up to date with all my latest
recipes straight to your inbox &
FIRST eBOOK PURCHASE
Don't worry you can unsubscribe at any
time if it's not for you.