Easy to make and on the table in under 15 minutes, these delicious spinach and cheese croissants are a family favourite, for lunch or light dinner. These tuna melt croissants have been such a hit on the blog, I thought I’d post another savoury croissant recipe.
Why we love this recipe
- Quick and easy – mix the cheese and spinach filling, stuff it into croissants and bake.
- A delicious alternative to sandwiches for lunch.
- Loved by toddlers and kids (and adults too!).
- A great recipe for picky eaters. Mini Jones isn’t too keen on spinach to be honest, but he is more than happy to eat it when it is mixed with grated cheese and egg in these croissants!
- Easy vegetarian recipe.
- This recipe is great for a simple lunch and also makes a delicious brunch too.
Ingredients notes and substitutions
- Croissants – I have made these savoury croissants with both regular size croissants and mini croissants.
- Cheese – I use grated cheddar cheese or tasty cheese. It is best if you grate the cheese yourself rather than using ready grated cheese.
- Spinach – fresh baby spinach.
- Egg – a beaten egg helps keep the ingredients together.
You can freeze unfilled croissants for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in a low oven.
You can make the filling and keep, covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours. I would recommend baking the croissants just before serving, as they will start to lose their crispness after a while.
My recipe tips
- Make sure the oven is heated before you place the filled croissants in to cook.
- Budget idea: When I see croissants on offer or reduced at the supermarket, I freeze them then defrost overnight to make savoury croissants.
What Can I serve with Spinach and Cheese croissants?
- A simple salad such as this carrot and feta salad, or pear and parmesan salad, or coleslaw.
- A bowl of soup. My son’s favourite carrot red lentil soup is always popular, as is this very easy roast pumpkin soup
More easy lunch ideas
These recipes are all toddler/kid approved
Spinach and Cheese Croissants
- 1 egg beaten
- 100g (1c) grated cheddar cheese
- 50g (a handful) baby spinach finely shredded
- 8 small croissants or 4 regular size croissants
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/370˚F.
- Slice the croissants lengthways down the middle.
- Mix the beaten egg with cheese and spinach, then spoon into the croissants.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until golden.