This easy and healthy pumpkin and peanut butter soup recipe can be prepared ahead of time and also freezes very well.
Updated April 2020 with better images and more useful information. x
This healthy vegan pumpkin soup recipe is rich and comforting, perfect for the cooling Autumn days we are having. It is such a simple soup recipe, with just 7 ingredients it is ready in 45 minutes. It keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days, and freezes well (see below). Meaning you can batch cook it at the weekend and enjoy throughout the week!
The peanut butter not only adds a touch of richness, and a savoury taste to compliment the sweet protein, but the nuts add protein – and kids love it!
Whilst I love to add chopped peanuts on the top of the soup before eating, if serving this to children under 5 years old, don’t garnish with peanuts as they are a choking hazard.
What To Serve with Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Soup:
Can I freeze this pumpkin soup?
Yes you can. Cool then freeze into portions and defrost in the fridge overnight.
Make it Your Pumpkin Soup:
More Spice: Add a touch more dried chilli flakes – don’t add more curry powder as it can start to catch the back of your throat
Not enough pumpkin: Make the amount up with carrots
No peanut butter/can’t eat peanuts: Omit it
Pumpkin and Peanut Butter Soup
- 1 dsp olive oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 sticks Celery sliced
- 500 g Pumpkin peeled and roughly chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter*
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Pinch chilli flakes - optional
- Salted peanuts to garnish - optional
- In a medium saucepan, heat the onion in the olive oil over a low heat until the onion is opaque – around 10 minutes. Add a splash of water if the onion starts to stick to the pan.
- Add celery and pumpkin and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, then add the stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the celery and pumpkin are tender – around 25 minutes.
- (Optional step: Take a couple of spoonfuls of pumpkin and celery out and puree for baby.)
- Add curry powder and peanut butter, and chilli flakes, if using, and stir. Blend until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
- Can freeze.
- *try and buy a peanut butter without anything added.