This healthy vegan pumpkin soup recipe is rich and comforting, perfect for the cooling Autumn days we are having. It is such a simple soup recipe, with just 7 ingredients it is ready in 45 minutes. It keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days, and freezes well (see below). Meaning you can batch cook it at the weekend and enjoy throughout the week!
The peanut butter not only adds a touch of richness, and a savoury taste to compliment the sweet protein, but the nuts add protein – and kids love it!
Whilst I love to add chopped peanuts on the top of the soup before eating, if serving this to children under 5 years old, don’t garnish with peanuts as they are a choking hazard.
What To Serve with Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Soup:
Can I freeze this pumpkin soup?
Yes you can. Cool then freeze into portions and defrost in the fridge overnight.
Make it Your Pumpkin Soup:
More Spice: Add a touch more dried chilli flakes – don’t add more curry powder as it can start to catch the back of your throat
Not enough pumpkin: Make the amount up with carrots
No peanut butter/can’t eat peanuts: Omit it
Pumpkin and Peanut Butter Soup
- 1 dsp olive oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 sticks Celery sliced
- 500 g Pumpkin peeled and roughly chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter*
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Pinch chilli flakes - optional
- Salted peanuts to garnish - optional
- In a medium saucepan, heat the onion in the olive oil over a low heat until the onion is opaque – around 10 minutes. Add a splash of water if the onion starts to stick to the pan.
- Add celery and pumpkin and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, then add the stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the celery and pumpkin are tender – around 25 minutes.
- (Optional step: Take a couple of spoonfuls of pumpkin and celery out and puree for baby.)
- Add curry powder and peanut butter, and chilli flakes, if using, and stir. Blend until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
- Can freeze.
- *try and buy a peanut butter without anything added.