This vegan lentil ragu with earthy green lentils and sweet butternut squash is a healthy and comforting family dinner, perfect for winter.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- ½ large butternut squash (or 1 small) cut into 1.5cm / .6inch cubes
- ½ tablespoon tomato puree
- 1c (200g) green lentils
- 14oz (400g) tin/can tomatoes
- 3½c (875ml) stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or use pinch dried rosemary
- Black pepper
- Fresh parsley, to serve optional
In a medium to large saucepan cook the onion in the olive oil over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until soft and caramelised.
Add the garlic, celery and carrot, butternut squash and a splash of water and stir.
Raise the heat slightly, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomato puree and add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and rosemary and black pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 40 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste (some bought stocks are very salty). * for a thicker sauce see notes below
Serve with pasta and fresh parsley sprinkled over the top.
- Extra step for a thicker sauce – take out 1 ½ cups/ 3 heaped tablespoons of the ragu and blend until smooth before stirring back in to the ragu.
Calories: 287kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 15gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 915mgPotassium: 1185mgFiber: 20gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 13922IUVitamin C: 40mgCalcium: 105mgIron: 5mg
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
I'd love to see your creation!
Or just leave a comment below!