I used to love creamy mushroom soup from a can, the kind that really has not much nutritional value. Whilst it was comforting to eat, I often didn’t feel very well afterwards, and was often hungry after a few hours.
However, in this creamy mushroom soup you get the vitamin D from the mushrooms and omega 3 fats and antioxidants from the walnuts. It also keeps you feeling full for longer. The creaminess the walnuts bring when blended is rich and comforting – you won’t miss not having dairy!
It is a great dairy free vegetarian soup, and also such a simple recipe for vegan soup if you leave out the Worcester sauce.
Can I make this soup ahead?
Yes. It can be made up to two days ahead and kept in the fridge.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes you can freeze the soup.
Is this soup gluten free?
Some brands of Worcester sauce are gluten free, but most are not. If in doubt, leave out the Worcester sauce.
How to use the other half of the leek?
You can cook and freeze the leek, then quickly defrost and add to another soup or sauce. You could also make these baby led weaning friendly leek & ricotta muffins (which are also great for toddler and kids lunchboxes!)
Make it Yours:
Not enough walnuts: You can make the soup with half walnuts and half almonds (roughly chop the almond before adding to the soup).
No leek: Use a small onion.
Vegan: Leave out the Worcester sauce.
Gluten Free: Leave out the Worcester sauce.
Mushroom and Walnut Soup
- 1 dsp olive oil
- ½ leek finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery finely diced
- 150 g small mushrooms sliced
- 750 ml stock or water plus a stock cube
- Generous pinch of black pepper
- ½ c walnuts roughly chopped
- splash Worcester Sauce - optional
- In a medium saucepan, fry the leek in the oil until soft. Add the celery and mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes before turning the heat up so mushrooms brown a little.
- Add the stock (or water and stock cube), black pepper and Worcester sauce, if using, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the walnuts and cook for a further 5 minutes. Blend and serve.
- Optional garnish: Slice an extra 5 mushrooms, fry in hot pan and place on top, with a few roughly chopped walnuts.