Piperade is a Basque dish made with onions, bell peppers/capsicums and tomatoes. Here I have added eggs which are scrambled with the vegetables, to make a protein filled easy lunch.
I have also added a touch of smoked paprika to the dish, I suppose making this version more from the Spanish part of the Basque region than the French. Cooking peppers (capsicums) with eggs is such a Spanish memory for me as I used to make something similar a lot. They were both ingredients I always had to hand and it was quick and easy for me to cook with Mr Jones working long and forever changing shifts, and suddenly returning home needing something delicious and filling to eat.
Green peppers and red tomatoes are the colours of the Basque flag. I have added half a red pepper (capsicum) for extra colour but you could use all green pepper (capsicum) if you wish. The onion and peppers are cooked until soft and sweet, and then tomatoes are added and before eggs are stirred through and heated until just cooked. It’s essentially a veggie packed scrambled egg dish!
Eggs piperade can be served for brunch, or lunch; as a main or a side dish. Ready in under 20 minutes, it is an easy meal that can be assembled at the last minute; the kind of dish it is always handy to have the recipe for.
It is delicious with a thick slice of fresh bread, or hot buttered toast on the side; however I do enjoy on it’s own too. It also makes a great wrap filling.
This dish is best eaten straight away.
If you liked this recipe you may like these:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper/capsicum thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper/capsicum thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 large tomato roughly chopped
- 2 eggs lightly beaten with a fork
- pinch smoked paprika optional
- fresh parsley to serve, optional
- salt and black pepper
- Saute the onion in the oil over a low-medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the sliced peppers/capsicum and cook for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and chopped tomato and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the eggs over the vegetables, sprinkle with smoked paprika (if using) and cook over a low heat until just cooked through and still soft.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve straight away garnished with parsley, if using.