2 ½ year old Mini Jones loves this muesli too! I have to admit I was very surprised at this, but so happy non the less! I make a batch without the nuts, toasting them on a seperate tray then storing them in a another jar. Come breakfast time I pour the muesli into our bowls and sprinkle a few nuts over mine and Mr Jones’s, leaving Mini Jones’s nut free, but still including all the seeds.
It is often so expensive to buy, and never contains exactly the add ins I want – either too much fruit making it far too sweet, or not enough seeds or nuts.
When you make your own, however, you get to decide exactly what you want.This healthy muesli recipe contains no added sugar – it really doesn’t need any as the dried fruit adds all the sweetness you need. The nuts and seeds add extra protein and nutrients, and toasting the oats not only adds a lovely flavour and makes them slightly chewy, but also stops them from turning thick and heavy when mixed with milk.
Serve this easy muesli with your favourite non dairy milk for a delicious and healthy plant based breakfast that will stave off those mid morning cravings.
Make it Your Muesli:
Nut Free: Leave out the nuts and add some more seeds if you wish.
Different Nuts: Replace almonds and walnuts with cashews, hazelnuts or some coconut flakes.
Fruit free: Replace the fruit with extra nuts and seeds.
Gluten Free: Make sure your oats are gluten free. Omit the barley flakes, sub in the same amount of gluten free oats.
If you are looking for more healthy breakfast ideas, have a look at this oil free Healthy Granola Recipe, this super refreshing Raspberry Bircher Muesli or this recipe for Torrijas – Spanish Style French Toast
- 200 g / 2c quick cook oats
- 120 g / 1c Barley flakes – can sub extra quick cook oats
- 130 g / 1 c nuts – Mixture of almonds and walnuts roughly chopped
- 90 g / ½ c sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp Chia seeds
- 2 tsp linseeds
- 140 g / 1 c raisins
- Optional – 60g Dried apricots roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/ 320˚F
- Sprinkle the oats in an even layer on a baking tray and toast them in the oven for 3 minutes. Take out of the oven, stir, add the chopped nuts and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray.
- When cold, stir in the seeds and fruit.
- Store in an airtight jar or container for up to 3 weeks.
- To serve, pour over milk of your choice, or serve with a spoonful of yogurt and some fresh fruit.