This no bake easy banoffee pie is made from a biscuit crumb base, toffee banana jam, greek yogurt and sprinkled with dark chocolate. A simple but impressive dessert!
Banoffee Pie is a classic English dessert recipe, made with bananas, toffee and cream on a base made of biscuit crumbs and butter (like a cheesecake base). The name ‘Banoffee’ comes from the combination of bananas and toffee. The crunchy biscuit base is a delicious contrast to the smooth filling.
Here I have given it a healthier makeover – with plain Greek yogurt instead of cream, and my easy toffee flavoured banana jam instead of toffee sauce. I love using Greek yogurt to replace cream in recipes, with my Almond Meringue Gateau and Peach Eton Mess some of my favourites.
By using the banana jam, you don’t have to mess around making tricky caramel or buying a sugar laden caramel. (Plus if you have brown or ripe bananas, this is a great way of using them up and putting them in a dessert that the most picky of brown banana haters will love!)
Can I make this dessert ahead of time?
It tastes best eaten a couple of hours after it is assembled, but you can make some elements before. The banana jam can be made 2 days ahead and stored in the fridge, and the biscuit base can be made the day before. Then it’s a case of assembling on the day, which should take 10 minutes, maximum.
What can I use instead of Digestive biscuits?
You can use graham crackers, ginger biscuits (such as ginger nuts)
Make this pie yours:
Gluten Free Pie: use gluten free biscuits/crackers
Dairy Free Pie: Use dairy free spread instead of butter and a coconut/dairy free yogurt
Vegan Banoffee Pie: If using McVities digestives, I gather they are vegan, but check your packet of biscuits/cookies. Then use a vegan spread instead of butter and dairy free yogurt of choice.
Why not try…
You may also like these other classic British recipes
Or these other ideas:
Easy Banoffee Pie
- 175 g digestive biscuits or graham crackers, or gingernuts
- 75 g butter/margarine melted
- 250g | 1 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1 quantity banana jam
- 1 banana sliced, optional *
- 25 g dark chocolate finely grated, optional
- Lightly grease a 23cm / 9 inch spring form tin or pie dish *
To make the biscuit base:
- In a mixing bowl crush the digestive biscuits (or biscuits of choice) until fine breadcrumbs then stir in the melted butter/margarine.
- Mix well to combine.
- Press into lightly greased tin(s) then place into the fridge to set for half an hour.
Assembling the Pie:
- When the biscuit base has set, spread the banana jam out over the base in an even layer.
- Place the sliced banana (if using) in a layer over the jam.
- Spoon over the yogurt and carefully using the back of a spoon, lightly push the yogurt to the sides to cover all the banana and jam.
- Finely grate the dark chocolate over the top (if using)
- Serve straight away, or cover and place in fridge for up to 4 hours.