Using buckwheat flour in this recipe gives the banana bread a slightly nutty note, which we love. I have also started to use this nutrient packed alternative to white flour as much as possible throughout my baking, it is more expensive than bleached white flour but I do believe in packing as many nutrients into each bite as possible; even better when I can do this and still enjoy cake!
It soon became synonymous with us landing in Australia.
Jetlagged and having not slept for over 30 hours, we would drag ourselves to a beach and order banana bread and large coffees. That would get us to lunch time.This banana bread recipe is one I have used for years. I have always gone through phases of loving bananas, and then suddenly going off them so they sit forlornly in the bowl; and Mini Jones is following this trend. But when you have a tasty, easy banana bread recipe on hand, then having leftover ripe bananas is not a problem!
What is Buckwheat flour?
Buckwheat, despite its name, is not a type of wheat, nor is it a grain. It is actually a fruit seed related to rhubarb. It contains no gluten and has no known allergens (and is probably why it featured heavily in my diet growing up, when the medical profession tried to see if food allergies were the cause of my symptoms of ME).
Do I Have to Use Buckwheat flour?
If you don’t have buckwheat flour, use the same amount of wholemeal flour.
How do I make mini banana bread loaves?
This recipe will make 3 small tins (12.5cm x 8cm) – as in the picture. Just reduce the baking time to 40-45 minutes.
Buckwheat Banana Bread
- 125g (½c) butter/margarine - melted and cooled
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 40 g buckwheat flour
- 125 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g (½ c) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 large/3 small bananas peeled and mashed
- Melt the butter/margarine and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 130°C fan / 150˚C / 277˚F convection / 300˚F.
- Line a 12cm x 21cm (4½ inch x 8 inch) loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place the wholemeal flour, plain flour, buckwheat flour in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon, mixed spice, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and brown sugar and mix until evenly blended.
- Add eggs, vanilla, golden syrup and melted margarine. Mix well then fold in milk and bananas.
- Pour into the prepared tin and place in to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out cleanly.
- Cool in the tin for 20 mins. Then move to wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice into 10 slices, serve either plain or with butter.
To StoreKeeps for up to 5 days in the fridge.
To freezeWrap slices individually and freeze for up to 1 month.