A quick and easy recipe for leftover digestive biscuits, these grilled digestive s’mores take less than 10 minutes to make and are a fun recipe to make with kids too!
If you have been making a cheesecake base, rocky road or hedgehog slice you may well have a few leftover digestive biscuits left in the packet. Yes they are delicious on their own, however I often find those last ones in the packet often get forgotten about. This easy s’mores recipe is the perfect way to jazz them up, especially if they are starting to go a little soft.
Why we love this recipe
- Whilst making no bake slices like chocolate tiffin is a great way to use up biscuits, when there are only a few biscuits left in the packet the question arises: What can I do with leftover biscuits? The answer: heat them under the grill, and make s’mores with digestives!
- You can make a small batch of s’mores, or use a whole packet of digestive biscuits and cater for a larger crowd (these marshmallow sandwiches are very popular at birthday parties!).
- It takes just minutes to make these gooey marshmallow s’mores.
- Making s’mores is a fun and quick recipe to make with the family, and a delicious sweet treat perfect for those last minute emergency sugar cravings.
- You don’t need a campfire! Make them in the comfort of your own kitchen!
Ingredients notes and substitutions
- Digestive biscuits – instead of digestives you can use the traditional s’mores biscuit, the Graham cracker. Other leftover biscuits such as ginger snaps, Hobnobs, marie biscuits, Granita biscuits or Rich Tea biscuits would be delicious too. I would advise against using chocolate covered digestives, on the bottom at least, as the chocolate can burn. They would be great to press down on the charred marshmallows though!
- Marshmallows – I like to use regular pink and white marshmallows, but you can use mini marshmallows – you will obviously need to use more than 3! Or use large marshmallows and cut in half before placing on the biscuit to allow it to melt through under the grill.
- Chocolate – milk chocolate or dark chocolate work well, you can use chocolate chips if you prefer. This is a useful recipe for leftover Easter eggs (yes, it can happen!) or leftover Halloween chocolate too. Roughly chop your leftover chocolates and sprinkle them over the hot marshmallows.
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the grill to hot.
- Lay half the digestive biscuits on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Top each with 3 marshmallows.
- Place until the grill for 3-4 minutes, watching carefully as once the tops of the marshmallows start to melt and become caramelised they can easily go too far and burn.
- Take out and carefully sprinkle over roughly chopped chocolate, taking care not to touch the marshmallows as the hot sugar can burn.
- Top with another digestive biscuit, pressing down gently.
- Enjoy straight away!
S’mores are crunchy, chewy from the cooked marshmallow, and sweet with melted chocolate.
If your digestive biscuits are soft, place in the oven at 160˚C / 140˚C fan for a couple of minutes to draw out some of the moisture and crisp up. You can make the s’mores in the oven if you have had to do this step.
For individual s’mores, you will need: 2 digestive biscuits, 3 marshmallows and 7-10g (.25oz) chocolate. Make them under the grill or in the oven the same way that you would make a larger number of s’mores.
My recipe tips
- Watch the marshmallows under the grill as they can quickly turn from golden to burnt and different grills can take different time.
- Be careful of the hot sugar of melted marshmallows.
- If you don’t like caramelised marshmallows on your s’mores, then watch carefully and remove the biscuits from under the grill as soon as the tops of the marshmallows begin to bubble.
These grilled s’mores are best enjoyed straight away. I do not recommend keeping them for longer than a few hours.
- Oven baked s’mores: homemade s’mores can be cooked in the oven instead of under the grill. Preheat your oven to 180˚C / 350˚F. Place half the biscuits on the lined tray then top with three marshmallows and a third of the chopped chocolate. Place in preheated oven and bake for 4-5 minutes until the marshmallows are turning gooey. Take out of the oven top with another biscuit and eat straight away!
- Different flavours: add a small spoonful of raspberry or jam to make a wagon wheel / tea cake type of s’more, or some chopped Caramilk or Caramac, or use Nutella instead of chocolate.
More easy family baking recipes
- 6 digestive biscuits
- 9 marshmallows
- 20-25 g milk or dark chocolate roughly chopped
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Preheat the grill.
- Place 3 digestive biscuits on the baking sheet.
- Top each digestive with 3 marshmallows.
- Place under the preheated grill and grill for 2-3 minutes until the tops of the marshmallows are beginning to caramelise and go dark golden.
- Take out from the grill, sprinkle over the chocolate and top with another digestive biscuit (taking care as the marshmallows will be hot!)
- Enjoy straight away!
- To make more than 3 s'mores, see below for ingredient quantities needed per s'more.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
I’d love to see your creation!
Or just leave a comment below!
Let me know your thoughts!