I love the little bits of cereal left at the bottom of the packet, but the rest of my family don’t share my view.
I have struggled to find a cereal without a lot of added sugar and additives in Australia. We have found one: ‘Be Natural Wholegrain Mini Bites’ It does contain demerara sugar but I prefer this over artificial sweeteners. This isn’t a sponsored link, I just like it and want to share! Mini Jones loves it – whilst does contain sugar, it’s high in fibre too.
Adapt to what you have:
If you can’t get this cereal, then Shredded Wheat or a similar cereal would be great for these chocolate nests. You can make them with any cereal, but the little shards of wheat look like small twigs, which add to the Easter fun!
As the cereal is sweet, I like solely dark chocolate, but Mr Jones prefers them with a little milk chocolate – so feel free to use whichever suits your taste.
The recipe makes 4 cupcake sized nests, or 15 mini ones. It can easily be doubled.
These will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. If you can resist them for that long…
- 1 c/75g shredded wheat cereal crushed
- ⅔ c/100g chocolate - dark milk or a mixture of the two
- fresh fruit - raspberries chopped strawberries, chopped kiwi berries, blueberries
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Pour this over the crushed cereal and stir well to combine.
- Spoon into 4 cupcake cases or 15 petit four cases and press down with the back of a spoon to form a little nest shape.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour or so, then fill with fresh fruit and chocolate eggs