I love to carry on with scone making tradition and bake savoury scones for Mini Jones, as they are a very kid friendly savoury snack. Not only that, but they can be made quickly from ingredients I always have in, perfect for last minute guests – or a sudden snack attack!
Although scones taste best on the day they are baked, they can easily be reheated under the grill (I love toasting them under the grill until crisp!), or in a microwave for a second or two – although be careful, any longer and they can become tough.
Are these scones suitable for freezing?
Both the cooked scones and raw dough can be frozen. So I often make a batch, but only cook half and then I have another half to put straight from the freezer to the oven on days when I haven’t the time or energy to cook. To freeze: Open freeze for a few hours (freeze on tray without covering) then place in a container separated with baking paper/greaseproof paper. Cook from frozen – will take an extra 5 mins or so.
What do you have on cheese scones?
I eat them fresh out of the oven without anything, but Mr Jones prefers butter. Some cream cheese or a slice of cheese and little tangy chutney goes really well too!
Why not try…
If you want to see more kid friendly snack ideas, you may also like:
- 100 g wholemeal flour ($0.20 / £0.18p)
- 125 g plain flour ($0.15 / £0.07p)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder ($0.10 / £0.04p)
- 50 g cold butter, cubed ($0.65 / £0.35p)
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated ($1.16 / £0.80p)
- 60 ml cold milk ($0.10 / £0.04p)
- 60 ml cold water ($0 / £0)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard ($0.04 / £0.01p)
- Oven 220˚C/430˚F
- Mix the flours with the baking powder, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Lightly stir through the cheese.
- Mix the milk, water and mustard then pour into flour mixture. Mix until the mixture just comes together then place on a floured surface and roll out to 2.5cm thick.
- Cut out rounds using a 2 ¼ in/58mm round cutter, and place on a baking tray, sprinkle over a little extra grated cheese if you like, then place in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden.