It has only been in the past year that I have come to fully appreciate bircher muesli. I can prepare a bowl first in the morning and then eat it throughout the day. Unlike toast or hot porridge, it is a dish that doesn’t spoil if baby cries or needs you halfway through breakfast – just pop it back in the fridge for later!
I prefer my bircher recipe to include more apple than oats – I think that was how it was originally prepared – but feel free to mix it up to suit your tastes! Just remember if you add more oats then add a little more milk/water and yogurt.
You can also mix up the fruit in you bircher muesli recipe. This nut free Raspberry Bircher Muesli is made with pear and frozen raspberries. Toddler Mini Jones at 2 years absolutely loves eating this – either for breakfast or a snack!
- 2 tbsp quick cook oats
- 1 tbsp water/milk
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- Pinch mixed spice – or cinnamon
- 1 apple grated (skin left on)
- ½ tbsp sultanas
- ½ tbsp almonds roughly chopped
- In a bowl, mix the oats with the water/milk, yogurt and mixed spice. Stir through the grated apple, sultanas and almonds then cover and place in fridge.
- When ready to serve, top with an extra spoonful of yogurt and extra fruit, such as blueberries or strawberries. Or leave as is.