These air fryer pizza rolls are fluffy, chewy, and as cook in less than 10 minutes, making them an ideal lunch, lunchbox idea or snack, loved by kids and adults!
Pockets of chewy pizza dough, crispy on the edges, filled with pizza sauce – nothing can beat the taste of homemade pizza rolls!
Why you’ll love this air fryer recipe
- Quick to cook – cooking pizza rolls in the air fryer takes less than 10 minutes!
- Perfect for kids lunchboxes
- Can be made ahead
- Use up fridge leftovers – cooked veggies, cooked meats, different cheese (I love spinach and feta!)
- Crispy golden outside, soft fluffy insides
- Pizza dough – use homemade dough or store bought.
- Tomato sauce – I love using this thick tomato sauce, which I can defrost a portion before making these rolls, but you can also use store bought or a little tomato paste.
- Cheese – use grated mozzarella or pizza cheese, or I often use a basic cheddar, which I grate – it’s more economical.
- Add ins – finely diced pepper/capsicum (as I’ve used here), any cooked veg you have, mushrooms or spinach; ham, salami, or bacon.
- Olive Oil – helps crisp the pizza rolls and make them a lovely golden brown.
How to make pizza rolls in the air fryer
- Take a section of your pizza dough (from my basic dough recipe I cut it into 4) and roll out to a thickness of approx ¾ cm (.3″)
- Cut it into 3 rectangles.
- Top half of each section with a teaspoon of tomato sauce, leaving 1 cm (/4″) gap around the edges – this is important to be able to seal your pizza pockets and prevent any filling from leaking.
- Add 1 teaspoon of toppings of choice.
- Sprinkle with ½ – 1 teaspoon of grated cheese.
- Fold the dough over to cover the filling.
- With a fork, press down to crimp and seal the edges.
- With a sharp knife cut 2-3 small holes in the top of each roll to let the steam out.
- Brush with a little olive oil.
I have a small air fryer, so can only fit three in at a time, but a bonus is you can make another batch whilst these ones cook!
After 8-9 minutes at 180˚C / 356˚F in the air fryer, the pizza rolls are crispy and golden!
Anything that you like to eat on a pizza! Cooked bacon or salami, vegetables, chopped olives, goats cheese or feta…the opportunities are endless!
Salsa, extra pizza sauce, Sriracha.
Once completely cool, place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
My tips for air frying pizza rolls
- If you use meat in your pizza rolls, make sure it is cooked before going into the air fryer.
- If using wet ingredients such as spinach or mushrooms, sauté them for a couple of minutes and then cool before adding to your pizza rolls, otherwise your dough could become soggy.
- Do not overstuff the pizza rolls, or your filling will ooze out everywhere.
- You can use puff pastry or store bought pizza dough if you don’t want to make your own dough.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before eating as the filling is very hot!
Whilst I love making these homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer, you can also make them in the oven.
How to make these air fryer rolls in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C fan/ 220˚C / 400˚F. Line two baking tray/sheets.
- Make the rolls exactly the same as for the air fryer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
More easy kid friendly recipes
Some of my son’s current dinner and lunchbox favourite recipes 🙂
Air fryer Pizza Rolls
- Cut dough in quarter and place on a floured board, putting the rest back in a lightly greased bowl for later.
- Using a flour dusted rolling pin, roll to a thickness of ½cm (.2") – a rectangle of roughly 24cm x 17cm (9.5" x 6.7").
- Cut across into 3 rectangles.
- Spread 1 to 1 ½ tsp of tomato sauce on half of each piece, leaving 1cm (.4") from the edges.
- Top each with ½ – 1 tsp of additional ingredients.
- Place 1½ tsp grated cheese on each.
- Lightly brush a little water around the edges, then fold over the dough and seal the edges with a fork.
- With a sharp knife, make 3 small holes in the top of each roll to let the steam out.
- Brush each pizza roll with a little olive oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180˚C / 356˚F.
- Place in a single layer (my air fryer can only cook 3 at a time) and cook for 8-9 minutes, until golden.
- Whilst they are cooking prepare the next batch of pizza rolls.
- Repeat with the rest of the pizza rolls.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving, as the insides can be very hot!
Making Pizza Rolls in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C fan/ 220˚C / 400˚F. Line two baking tray/sheets with baking paper.
- Make the rolls exactly the same as for the air fryer but place on baking sheet rather than air fryer pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
- Cook any meat before adding to the pizza pockets.
- Wet veg such as mushrooms, zucchini/courgette or spinach – saute them for a few minutes to release any moisture before using in the pizza rolls.
- Cheese: Mozzarella and pizza cheese melts well and provides great cheesey strings, but grated basic cheddar tastes just as good!